HMAS Sydney II Memorial
This magnificent memorial has become the country's premier site for honouring the 645 Australian sailors who were lost off the Western Australian coast during a World War II battle with a German raider in November 1941. RAN cruiser HMAS Sydney II and her men disappeared after a battle with German raider HSK Kormoran. While both ships were lost, many of the Kormoran crew survived the ordeal.
The beautifully designed memorial features five elements steeped in symbolism: a silver dome of 645 seagulls to represent each of the lost Sydney sailors. The wall of remembrance shows photographs of the ship and the names of the Sydney crew. To the north, a bronze statue of a woman gazes desperately out to sea as she awaits news of the ill-fated Sydney. Nearby is the stele - a single, dramatic shape representing the bow of the ship.
The recently completed 5th element (November 2011) is the pool of remembrance 'Closing the Circle'. 644 Seagulls are lining the base of the pool, the 645th, standing 2 metres tall above the pool, its wing indicating the spot where the wreck lies together with longitude and latitude coordinates. The combination of these five elements results in an extremely moving and fitting memorial.
Both the wreck of the HMAS Sydney II and HSK Kormoran were found in March 2008. For more information click here.
The Geraldton Voluntary Tour Guides Association runs a daily tour at the memorial starting at 10.30am. It is a 30 minutes walking tour. Meet your guide at the memorial carpark, Gummer avenue, Mt Scott. For customised tours of the HMAS Sydney II memorial please contact the Geraldton Visitor Centre on 08/9921 3999. A memorial service is held every year on November 19 around sunset time. Call the Visitor Centre for more details on 08/9921 3999.
The HMAS Sydney II Memorial is the first memorial to be recognised as a memorial of national significance outside the Australian capital city of Canberra.